TLS Migration to Version 1.2 Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is TLS?
A: TLS means Transport Layer Security and are protocols to protect data between devices; i.e. internet to servers, mobile phone to servers.
Q: What is happening?
A: Yapstone is disabling TLS protocols older than version 1.2.
Q: Why is this happening?
A: TLS Versions older than 1.2 contain potential security vulnerabilities. Accordingly, we are upgrading our browser and connectivity library to improve the security of data in transit.
Q: When will this happen?
A: The migration will be completed by February 15th, 2019.
Q: I heard the deadline was June 30th 2018 to be TLS 1.2 Compliant. Why is the cutoff 2/15/2019 and what is Yapstone doing to remain compliant until then?
A: We have extended our deadline to accommodate our customers to make sure they are all compliant before making changes in our system. We have worked with our auditors to extend the date while we work to remediate this on behalf of our customers.
Q: What do I need to do?
- If you are accessing Yapstone.com with an out of date web browser, you will need to update to the latest version of your browser which should contain current TLS libraries. A banner on www.rentpayment.com will be deployed 8/14/2018 for client’s who’s browsers are out of date.
– Microsoft Internet Explorer & Edge receive updates through running Windows Update. Additional instructions can be found here:
– Google Chrome update instructions can be found here: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95414?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en
– Mozilla Firefox update instructions can be found here:
– Safari can be updated via the App Store on Mac OS, further instructions can be found here:
- If you are accessing Yapstone services through a mobile device, you will be prompted to update to the newest version of our Mobile App automatically during your next login after August 29th, 2018 for Andoid devices and August 30th, 2018 for Apple IOS.
- If you are connecting to Yapstone services through software, please download the newest version of your software from your software provider. If you are a software provider and need assistance with this change, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have already connected to a newer version of TLS 1.2 or above, please contact account management for testing.
- If you are accessing Yapstone services through a check scanner, you will need to update to the newest version of our check scanning utility. The new check scanner utility will be available on August 30th, 2018. Upgrading to the new version of the check scanner utility will be mandatory by February 15th 2019 to continue scanning checks. Yapstone’s Check Scanning utility can be downloaded at the following URL:
* Please note, a property manager username and password is required in order to access the page. Please contact your corporate office and identify your security user as they will need to assist you with you credentials.